These are a few of the most asked questions from new patients. Please contact us if we can answer other questions not shown here.
A: ALWAYS remember to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
• Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask your orthodontist or family dentist if you need a fluoride rinse. This will help prevent cavities!
• If you take out your retainer to eat, make sure you brush your teeth, floss, and remember to keep it safe in its container so that it does not get lost or broken.
• Keep your retainer clean by brushing it gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Do not put your retainer in boiling water or in the dishwasher.
• During your treatment, try to avoid foods with a lot of sugar (sugar increases the amount of bacteria that grows in your mouth, causing more plaque and possibly cavities).
• Avoid sticky and chewy foods (caramel, chewing gum, gummy bears, taffy) hard foods (hard candy, nuts, ice cubes) or any foods that could possibly get stuck in your braces (corn on the cob, soft bagels, ribs, popcorn, etc.
• Be sure to schedule your routine checkups with your family dentist. It is recommended that you continue to visit the dentist every six months.